Quicken Loans Arena Fun Facts
Special Features and Fun Facts About The Q
- The ground breaking for Quicken Loans Arena (Gund Arena at the time) took place in April of 1992 and it took two and a half years to build the facility. The Q officially opened its doors to the public on October 17, 1994 with Billy Joel as the grand opening performer.
- Quicken Loans Arena and next door neighbor Progressive Field (formerly Jacobs Field and home to the Cleveland Indians) comprise the Gateway Sports and Entertainment Complex. This project marked the first time in the country that two sports facilities were constructed simultaneously on the same site.
- Quicken Loans Arena is home to the National Basketball Association’s Cleveland Cavaliers, the AHL’s Lake Erie Monsters, the AFL’s Cleveland Gladiators, and the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Men’s & Women’s Championship Tournaments.
- The Lake Erie Monsters are Cleveland’s new American Hockey League franchise that began play in the 2007-08 season at Quicken Loans Arena. The Monsters are the primary affiliate of the Columbus Bluejackets. Dan Gilbert, majority owner of both the Monsters and the Cleveland Cavaliers and chairman and founder of Quicken Loans, purchased the hockey team in May of 2006.
- Each year Quicken Loans Arena hosts close to 2 million people who attend approximately 200 events including Cavaliers basketball, world-class concerts, spectacular family shows and signature sporting events.
- Seating capacity for Quicken Loans Arena events is 20,500. Specifically designed to create an intimate setting, 60 percent of the seats are located in the lower bowl.
- State-of-the-art technology enhances the sights and sounds of Quicken Loans Arena.
- HUMONGOTRON, Quicken Loans Arena’s brand new center-hung scoreboard, is armed with the fan-favorite flaming sabers and a new sound system that provides fans with cutting-edge clarity. The four-sided, center-hung scoreboard has four enormous HD video screens that are tilted and uniquely curved to provide optimal viewing angles for all fans whether they are seated in the front row on the floor, or in the upper level in Loudville. The two sideline screens measure 31.50’ high x 56.69’ wide and feature greater-than-HD video. The two high-resolution baseline screens measure 29.92’ high x 33.07’ wide.
- In addition to the new scoreboard, The Q is illuminated with a grand total of more than 11,682 square feet of new LED displays that have been installed in the arena’s seating bowl and concourses. This includes four updated corner boards, a 360-degree fascia ribbon in the seating area and high resolution LED signage on the concourses.
- An all-new control system, for both the scoreboard and LED displays, was installed to allow full integration of live video, team and player statistics, social media information, fan messages, closed captioning of arena announcements, and more.
- Quicken Loans Arena houses a full-service production facility which includes an on-line production Suite, master control facility, TV and radio studios to provide video, matrix, lighting and audio services as well as broadcast coordination.
- There are five multi-screen video walls located throughout Quicken Loans Arena that feature entertainment and sports highlights as well as upcoming event features.
- 562 television monitors are located throughout Quicken Loans Arena so guests do not miss a minute of the game action or entertainment during visits to the concourse areas. Cavaliers play-by-play radio broadcasts are piped into the Quicken Loans Arena concourse, elevators and restrooms for those brief visits away from your seats.
- There are 92 Suites in Quicken Loans Arena with 27 of the Suites located only 15 rows from the arena floor, 60 Suites located 30 rows from the floor, and 5 new Platinum suites located on the event level.
- Quaker Steak & Lube is a full-service restaurant located on the main concourse of Quicken Loans Arena. The Lube features a casual dining experience that the whole family can enjoy.
- Quicken Loans Arena has a regulation sized practice basketball court that is a replica floor of the original Cavaliers main court.
- Cavaliers Team Shop is 2,600 square feet of retail space filled with the biggest and best assortment of Cavaliers, Lake Erie Monsters and Cleveland Gladiators gear.
- The Underground Service Area (USA) is a world of its own beneath Quicken Loans Arena. This 55,000-square foot space can accommodate parking for a combination of 26 tour buses or semi-trucks and is used as a hotel for the circus animals.
- The process to make ice for hockey and figure skating events takes approximately 22 hours and includes freezing one inch of ice and painting the surface. The ice is made by spraying water onto the concrete floor using a good old-fashioned garden hose. The concrete floor is temperature controlled by five miles of piping that lies beneath the floor surface and circulates an ethylene glycol solution. This solution activates the freezing process turning water into ice.
- It takes three hours to switch from a hockey rink to a basketball court. The conversion from ice to hardwood is done by constructing a subfloor. The Cavaliers basketball court, which is placed on top of the subfloor, is comprised of 225 pieces of solid maple hardwood, each 4′ x 8′ in dimension.
- Glass Canopy Entrance Quicken Loans Arena is 480′ long x 440′ wide x 140′ high and encompasses 750,000 square feet.
- Quicken Loans Arena supports a unique roof design which is actually the shape of the arena site turned at a 90-degree angle.
- It would take more than 53 million basketballs to fill Quicken Loans Arena.
- To add to Quicken Loans Arena’s versatility, a special 1,350′ x 42′ linear black curtain was custom-designed to cover the seats in the 200 sections of the arena. It is made of more than 5,600 yards of inherently flameproofed heavy Trevira polyester fabric. The hanging curtain changes the seating capacity from 20,562 to 11,751 and creates an intimate atmosphere for selected arena events.
- The glass canopy that covers the entrance to the Quicken Loans Arena Arcade has 350 panes of glass.
SIGN UP TODAY!
Exclusive Contests, Special Ticket Offers, Upcoming Events, Announcements.Sign Up to Become a Q Insider